I am Sam Roberts, an independent, organised, and versatile project manager and producer. I collaborate with creative professionals to deliver publications, events, installations, and learning experiences. I am just as comfortable producing a global online conference as ghost writing a technical book, or providing personal effectiveness coaching.
I thrive on autonomy, enjoy bringing order to chaos, and relish the challenge of new projects and experiences. These have been abundant while running my own business where, in addition to the core products and services, I have been responsible for everything from sales to social media, customer service to content management. I love seeing a plan come together, and being at the heart of making it happen.
|Publishing||Attention to Detail|
2014–, Director and Executive Producer at Better Letters
I founded Better Letters in the context of my interest in traditional sign painting. I have built a global following, championing the craft via a range of commercial and voluntary activities and, in doing so:
- Grew the business to over £250,000 in revenue over five years.
- Inspired over 3,000 people globally via the core workshops product.
- Produced, as agent, scores of pieces of commercial lettering and sign work, with one collection awarded by the Type Directors Club.
- Authored a comprehensive practical guide to sign painting, first published in 2021 and now in its second edition.
- Gained over 250 paid subscribers within six months of launching the world’s only sign painting magazine in print, now on issue two.
2006–, Director and Chief Tour Guide at Ghostsigns
Ghostsigns encompasses my typically voluntary projects in the realm of fading hand-painted signs. I am now considered to be something of an authority on the topic and, via my various initiatives, have:
- Authored the definitive contemporary book on ghost signs, raising over £33,000 via Kickstarter to get it published.
- Earned the TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence for my three London walking tours, which I then adapted for online delivery.
- Collaborated with academics around the world to edit the only scholarly book to be published on the topic of ghost signs.
- Built an online photographic archive of over 1,000 locations in the UK, crowdsourced via hundreds of volunteer contributors.
2013–15, Professional Development Consultant at D&AD
I used my learning and development experience, and knowledge of the creative industries, to support D&AD’s open and bespoke creative workshops programme. I worked as a freelancer and:
- Identified new business opportunities by using a variety of research methods to conduct a sectoral learning needs analysis.
- Sold dozens of bespoke workshops by collaborating with creative directors and human resources professionals in their development.
2011–12, Marketing & Management Advisor at Cambodian Rural Development Team
I was a Voluntary Service Overseas (VSO) volunteer at this local non-governmental organisation. My role was to develop skills through project-based training and coaching and, in doing so, we:
- Launched a social enterprise in the eco-tourism sector, leading to a 58% increase in community incomes from tourism.
- Conducted a value-chain analysis for the poultry market, making recommendations to facilitate greater access for remote farmers.
2009–10, Programme Delivery Manager at The Work Foundation
Managed a year-long research initiative, liaising with industry, union, and public sector leaders to develop a series of published reports.
2008–09, Learning & Development Manager at iris Worldwide
Ran the learning and development function at a global advertising agency, working with internal leaders and external training providers.
2004–08, Qualifications Manager at The Institute of Practitioners in Advertising
Managed a team to deliver a programme of professional advertising qualifications, overseeing its growth from one to four qualifications.
- PRINCE2 Practitioner, Association of Project Management
- MSc Human Resources, London South Bank University
- BA Philosophy and Mathematics, University of Bristol
- 2021, Best Documentary, Dam Short Film Festival
- 2015–19, TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence
- 2017, Type Directors Club
- 2007, National Training Award
Sam is dedicated, self-motivated and a great problem solver. He’s not only a reliable forward thinking Project Manager but also an inspiring individual. As a collaborator and consultant, Sam earns my highest recommendation.Martina Flor, Lettering Artist
Working with Sam over the years has been an absolute pleasure and he’s always been beyond helpful to bring my event ideas to fruition.Jo Pitts, Brand Production Manager, G . F Smith
Sam’s approach of listening, questioning and advising were crucial in getting me to where I am now which is relaxed, productive and enjoying the best bits of my work without the other stuff suffering. He’s also incredibly easy to work with. The whole experience could have been a real chore but he made it seem fun!Gabriel May, DJ & Producer, The Heatwave
I found Sam to be mature, hard working and responsible. He was self-motivating and dynamic. He had a clear vision as to where he intended to take Burst FM during his period as Station Manager and he achieved all of his goals within the demanding timetable he had set himself.Keith Brackstone, General Manager, Bristol University Student Union
Sam is an excellent lecturer who engages the groups he works with very effectively. Very good presentation and facilitation skills, and an excellent knowledge of his subject area. Conscientious and hard working with a very strong sense of humour. To be recommended.Jan Rae, Lecturer, London South Bank University
I have worked with Sam over a number of years in a couple of different organisations. He is very pro active, positive and fun to work with. He has strong creative industry knowledge and delivers more than is expected. I would highly recommend working with Sam.Jo Maude, Freelance Senior Project Manager and Producer